Passport2Success - WORC
The Passport2Success Programme is an employment initiative that provides training to young Caymanians to help them succeed in the workplace. Passport2Success helps them to improve skills, gain work experience, earn rewards, find employment and fulfil their potential. Passport2Success is government-funded, so there is no cost to participate.
- Education – attend classes to provide them with basic skills. Classes will use a face-to-face delivery, where the tutor shares a physical space with programme participants
- Employability workshop – attend workshops about subjects such as resume writing, dressing for success, interview skills, and pride in performance
- Work experience – go on job placements in companies and organisations whose business is related to your chosen career; gain work experience and develop decision-making skills
- Extra-curricular activities – such as community service
- Stipend – each participant will earn a weekly stipend for successfully taking part
- Activities are hands-on and practical
- Integration of general life skills and career-specific vocational education
- A career pathways approach
- Adult-based learning methods (such as group and practical exercises)
- Real-world perspective
- Guest speakers from local businesses and industry
- Fun team-building activities
Caymanians interested in the Passport2Success Programme should contact us by calling 945-9672 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If any of the following apply to you, then Passport2Success could be just what you are looking for:
- Recent school leaver
- Looking for career direction and guidance
- Actively interested in gaining practical skills
- Looking to gain work experience and a job placement
- Willing to show commitment
You do not need high school qualifications or work experience to join the Passport2Success programme. You need to want to improve your skills, secure a job you want and be willing to work.
Passport2Success is government-funded, so there is no cost to participate.
Participants will be chosen using a strict selection procedure. Places are limited; however, candidates who do not secure a place may be accepted in the next available cohort.
Passport2Success will provide you with an opportunity for personal and professional development. The programme will challenge and support you to reach your goals. By participating in Passport2Success, you will gain confidence, a greater understanding of the world of work and the practical skills to successfully seek and maintain employment.
Participants will be given the opportunity to meet business leaders and local entrepreneurs and visit various local businesses and industries, all aiming to develop a deeper understanding of career interests and possibilities. Participants can expect to be challenged, to step out of their comfort zones and grow as individuals.
Passport2Success will give you:
- Practical hands-on training
- Valuable work experience
- Better occupational, personal and job-specific skills
- A clearer idea of what kind of job suits you
- A chance to impress potential employers
- A stipend
- Access to childcare at an approved Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) Centre
- More control over your life
The Passport2Success programme is full-time, five (5) days a week, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The programme lasts 12-16 weeks, including a week of community service and work placement days.
The curriculum is ever-evolving as Passport2Success grows and tries to meet the demands of every participant. However, certain information is taught to every cohort and, includes:
Topic / Main Lessons
- Getting to know each other / Group Rules / Policies
- Lots of paperwork
Introduction to the World of Work
- Understanding the Labour Law
- Understanding Employment Contracts
- Probationary Periods
- Exploring business practices
- Barriers to Communication
- Understanding Communication Styles
- Formal vs. Informal Communication
- Improving written and oral communication
- Understanding non-verbal communication
- Exploring Work Place Communication
- Introduction to public speaking
- Body language
Problem Solving in the Workplace
- What does your ‘attitude’ say about you?
- How to avoid conflicts at work / improving your negotiation skills
- Being a team player
Making a Positive First Impression
- What does your email address/phone message say about you?
- Personal hygiene & appearance
- Protocol of shaking hands
- Basic business etiquette
- Time management strategies
Technology in the Job Search
- Basic computer skills needed for the workplace
- Conducting a job search / researching a company
- Creating a resume
- Writing professional emails
- Selecting references
Community Service Projects
Getting Ready for Work Experience
- Finalise all work experience details, agreements, placements
Wrap-Up / Commencement Planning
- Finish up all tasks, revise resumes with P2S Graduation and Work experience
- Prepare for Commencement Ceremony / Complete Programme Evaluation
Cohorts - Participants Targeted:
Young Caymanians and Single Parents
- Passport2Success is for young Caymanians aged 17-24 interested in self-improvement and professional development. If you believe you are capable of much more and need the support and tools to reach your goals, then this programme is ideal. Participants must be willing to commit to full attendance and be genuinely invested in their future. Passport2Success is for those individuals motivated to change and ready to put in the effort to secure a better future.
Passport2Success is a full-time programme that requires your commitment five (5) days a week, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The course runs for 12-16 weeks for 17-24-year-olds.
To succeed in the Passport2Success programme, you will need to:
- Attend classes
- Attend work placements
- Keep a good attendance record
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Take part in group activities
- Demonstrate practical skills
- Be able to evaluate yourself and your peers
- Work hard during work placements
To apply for a spot in the Passport2Success Programme, please Complete the application form here.
You can submit it in one of two ways:
- Fill the form in and email it to email@example.com
- Print the form and drop it off at WORC, 87 Mary Street, George Town, Apollo House West
For assistance with filling in the form or more information, please contact:
Phone: 345 945 9672
Please return printed forms in person to:
Workforce Opportunities & Residency Cayman
87 Mary Street, George Town
1st Floor, Apollo House West
Local research has shown that most high school graduates in the Cayman Islands do not meet the enhanced basic skill standard, which includes enhanced literacy, effective communication, problem-solving and working in teams. Increasingly, entry-level positions in the workforce require higher levels of education.
Particular groups such as single mothers and young men have also been identified as high risk for unemployment.
The government has identified this as a major issue and has introduced Passport2Success, a National Employment Passport Programme, as a remedial measure.
The Passport2Success programme is full-time, five (5) days a week, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, over 12-16 weeks.
Passport2Success relies on the participation of employers to provide opportunities to programme participants with the desire to improve themselves.
- Passport2Success will improve the general skill levels of employees
- Passport2Success will help you identify and recruit young talent with a commitment to hard work
- Passport2Success will increase levels of employee retention and lower the expense of staff turnover
- Your involvement in Passport2Success is good for the community and your public relations
- Passport2Success is easy to become involved in, and the commitment of resources required is manageable
- Passport2Success helps tackle social issues such as crime by giving young people a positive direction. This is good for the wider community and reputation of the Cayman Islands and ultimately helps to foster a more business-friendly environment
To participate in the Passport2Success programme, employers are asked to commit to:
- Accommodating Passport2Success participants in job roles in their place of business for up to 5 weeks
- Mentoring Passport2Success participants and providing on-the-job training and guidance
- Measure and report on performance, attendance and behaviour
Employers interested in partnering should contact us by calling 945-9672 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
District Administration Building,
19 Kirkconnell Street,
Stake Bay, Cayman Brac
+1 (345) 948-2222